Teja election petition dismissed

Saturday June 28, 2008

Teja election petition dismissed
By CHRISTINA KOH
Teja election petition dismissedIPOH: The Ipoh High Court has dismissed with costs Barisan Nasional candidate Yew Sau Kham’s election petition to declare the result of the Teja state constituency null and void.

Election judge Siti Mariah Ahmad also allowed with costs the preliminary objections raised by the three respondents.

They were Teja assemblyman Chang Lih Kang, the returning officer Ahmad Kamaruzzaman Hamzah and the Election Commission (EC).

Yew had filed the petition on April 25 challenging the results of the Teja seat, which she lost to Chang from the PKR by 175 votes.

Among the grounds Siti Mariah gave when dismissing the petition yesterday was that the petitioner had failed to plead specific facts regarding an inflammatory election billboard which was allegedly erected by PKR and illegally printed without the printer’s name.

“There are no material facts to support the petitioner’s allegation of corrupt practice,” she said yesterday.

The petitioner also had no material facts to support allegations of corrupt practice aided by an electricity blackout that supposedly affected the results of the election during the counting period, she added.

The judge also discounted Yew’s argument that the March 8 result was invalid because a registered female voter had not been allowed to vote at the Lawan Kuda Timur polling station.

Even if the woman were to be allowed to vote, it would not change the results of the election because it would just reduce the majority by one vote, she added.

“After taking into the account the submissions of both parties, the court has decided to allow with costs the preliminary objects of the respondents and to dismiss the petition with costs,” she said.

Advertisements

Walkout a childish and unbecoming act, says Speaker

IPOH: Perak Barisan Nasional’s walkout during the state assembly was “childish” and unbecoming of an elected representative, assembly Speaker V. Sivakumar said.

“They are here to bring forth the problems of the people, not carry out their own agendas in order to get publicity,” he said when commenting on the incident yesterday.

Asked about Datuk Seri Raja Ahmad Zainuddin Raja Omar (BN – Kubu Gajah) being denied the chance to debate, Sivakumar explained that Raja Ahmad Zainuddin had been given the last half hour of the sitting on Wednesday to debate.

But for some reason, Raja Ahmad Zainuddin chose not to speak and instead asked to debate today (Thursday) on the motion of thanks on the royal address, said Sivakumar.

“When you get the opportunity to speak, you grab it. Otherwise, you will have to wait your turn like everyone else.

“Moreover, I never refused his request. I told Raja Ahmad Zainuddin that he would be allowed to debate after Teja assemblyman Chang Lih Kang, who stood up first.

Answering charges by Barisan representatives that he was biased towards Pakatan Rakyat, Sivakumar countered that he had been more than fair to Barisan.

He pointed out that he gave over two hours to former mentri besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Tajol Rosli Ghazali to present his debate.

Teja election petition dismissed – The Star

IPOH: The Ipoh High Court has dismissed with costs Barisan Nasional candidate Yew Sau Kham’s election petition to declare the result of the Teja state constituency null and void.

Election judge Siti Mariah Ahmad also allowed with costs the preliminary objections raised by the three respondents.

They were Teja assemblyman Chang Lih Kang, the returning officer Ahmad Kamaruzzaman Hamzah and the Election Commission (EC).

Yew had filed the petition on April 25 challenging the results of the Teja seat, which she lost to Chang from the PKR by 175 votes.

Among the grounds Siti Mariah gave when dismissing the petition yesterday was that the petitioner had failed to plead specific facts regarding an inflammatory election billboard which was allegedly erected by PKR and illegally printed without the printer’s name.

“There are no material facts to support the petitioner’s allegation of corrupt practice,” she said yesterday.

The petitioner also had no material facts to support allegations of corrupt practice aided by an electricity blackout that supposedly affected the results of the election during the counting period, she added.

The judge also discounted Yew’s argument that the March 8 result was invalid because a registered female voter had not been allowed to vote at the Lawan Kuda Timur polling station.

Even if the woman were to be allowed to vote, it would not change the results of the election because it would just reduce the majority by one vote, she added.

“After taking into the account the submissions of both parties, the court has decided to allow with costs the preliminary objects of the respondents and to dismiss the petition with costs,” she said.

Barisan reps walk out

IPOH: All 28 Perak Barisan Nasional assemblymen staged a walkout on the second day of the state assembly after one of them was not allowed to speak.

“I’m going home. They played us out,” Perak Barisan chief Datuk Seri Mohamad Tajol Rosli Ghazali told reporters outside the assembly hall here yesterday.

Furore in Dewan: Raja Ahmad Zainuddin (left) expressing his disappointment at not being allowed to speak. Standing up in protest in the background are Canning assemblyman Wong Kah Woh (right) and Tebing Tinggi assemblyman Ong Boon.

The former mentri besar (BN – Pengkalan Hulu) was unhappy that Datuk Seri Raja Ahmad Zainuddin Raja Omar (BN – Kubu Gajah) had been denied the chance to speak when proceedings moved on to debating the motion of thanks on the royal address.

He said Raja Ahmad Zainuddin should be the first to debate as deputy speaker Hee Yit Foong had supposedly promised to allow him to do so before proceedings were adjourned on Wednesday.

Instead, Speaker V. Sivakumar chose to give the floor first to Chang Lih Kang (PKR – Teja).

Therefore, Tajol Rosli said he would boycott the proceedings until the winding-up speech of Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin today.

“I will not be in the dewan (assembly hall) for the rest of the day until the MB’s (winding-up) speech in the afternoon. I respect the MB so I will be here.

“He (Sivakumar) just wants to show his power. We can show our power too by walking out,” said Tajol Rosli.

Raja Ahmad Zainuddin claimed that the secretary of the assembly had assured him earlier that he would be the first to debate.

He told reporters that he wanted a correction on Nizar’s earlier statement that a piece of land had supposedly been approved for “Umno Larut Matang and Selama.”

Raja Ahmad Zainuddin, who is also Larut Umno division chief, said there was no such division by that name, and insisted that no land had been given to his division.

“In fact the Land and Mines Department confirmed that a piece of land was applied for the Kamunting state constituency in the Larut Matang and Selama district.

“If that were so, Kamunting would be under Taiping Umno, not mine.

“It’s shameful for me and I just wanted it corrected in the Mentri Besar’s winding-up speech,” he added.

The fiery assemblyman added that when he stood up to speak, it was to seek a clarification and not to cause trouble or “be the naughty boy of the dewan”.

訴方證據不足‧案件撤銷‧民聯保住迪渣州席

訴方證據不足‧案件撤銷‧民聯保住迪渣州席

(霹靂‧怡保)馬華候選人入稟高庭要求宣判務邊迪渣州議席選舉成績無效一案,高庭基於訴方無法提呈足夠證據支持上訴理由,因此接納辯方律師的初步反對陳詞,撤銷案件,使民聯成功保住重要一席。

起訴人游繡琴是馬華務邊區會婦女組主席,她以175張微差多數票輸給公正黨鄭立慷。她要求怡保高庭宣判投票結果無效,並將鄭立慷列為第一答辯人,第二及第三答辯人分別是迪渣選舉官及大馬選舉委員會。

鄭立慷及游繡琴今日(週五,27日)都沒有出現在怡保高庭。

法官茜蒂瑪麗亞週五在怡保高庭宣讀判詞時指出,高庭主要基於4個理由,撤銷起訴人的申請。

她說,起訴人認為第一答辯人懸掛沒有印上印刷商及出版商名字海報已經觸犯選舉法令,但卻沒有列出犯下甚麼條例。

她指出,起訴人提出她的9名監票員沒有拿到計票表格影印本,因而喪失要求重算選票資格的說法並不存在,因為計票表格影印本是在算票及重算選票結束後才分發出去的,而且監票員當時並沒有提出重算選票的要求就在表格上簽名,證明監票員也認同選舉成績。

“至於一名婦女不獲准投票事件,就算這名婦女投票了,起訴人可能只是獲得一張選票,但不會影響整個大選成績。”

至於計票中心停電及選委會官員以人手計算選票事件,法官提到,“起訴人沒有解釋以人手計票的方式將如何影響大選成績,或是證實人手計票違反程序,而且選委員過後也沒有接到任何投訴,因此高庭決定接納辯方的初步反對陳詞,撤銷起訴人的申請。”

另一方面,迪渣州議員鄭立慷對於高庭的判決感到開心。“對方若繼續上訴,我也無法阻止,但希望對方接受事實。”

鄭立慷週五在州議會休會時對記者指出,據他所知,這是霹靂州在本屆大選第一宗撤銷的選舉訴訟案件。

光明日報‧2008.06.27

Speaker: Perak BN walkout was ‘childish’

Thursday June 26, 2008 MYT 7:33:32 PM
Speaker: Perak BN walkout was ‘childish’
IPOH: Perak Barisan Nasional’s walkout during the state assembly was “childish” and unbecoming of an elected representative, assembly speaker V. Sivakumar said.

“They are here to bring forth the problems of the people, not to carry out their own agenda in order to get publicity,” he said when commenting on the incident here Thursday.

Asked about Datuk Seri Raja Ahmad Zainuddin Raja Omar (BN – Kubu Gajah) being denied the chance to debate, Sivakumar said that Raja Ahmad Zainuddin had been given the last half hour of the sitting on Wednesday to debate.

But for some reason, he chose not to speak and instead asked to debate Thursday on the motion of thanks on the royal address, said Sivakumar.

“When you get the opportunity to speak, you grab it. Otherwise, you will have to wait your turn like everyone else.

“Moreover, I never refused his request. I told Raja Ahmad Zainuddin he would debate next after Teja assemblyman Chang Lih Kang, who stood up first,” he said.

On accusations from Barisan representatives that he was biased towards Pakatan Rakyat, Sivakumar aruged that he had been more than fair to Barisan.

He pointed out that he gave over two hours to former Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Tajol Rosli Ghazali to present his debate.

Sultan Perak rasmi sidang Dun

Sultan Perak rasmi sidang Dun

Ekmal Yusof
Tue | Jun 24, 08 | 2:58:09 pm MYT
IPOH, 24 Jun (Hrkh) – Sultan Perak, Sultan Azlan Shah mengingatkan rakyat supaya pandai berjimat serta dapat membantu kerajaan berusaha mengatasi krisis kekurangan bahan makanan yang sedang melanda negara.Baginda menegaskan bahawa krisis tersebut bukan sahaja berlaku di negara ini malah ia juga terjadi di seluruh dunia.Justeru, nasihat baginda kepada rakyat, jangan salahkan sesiapa tetapi rakyat harus sentiasa berhati-hati berbelanja dalam menyediakan makanan seharian.

Titah baginda lagi, memandangkan dunia sekarang dilanda krisis makanan, baginda berharap rakyat di negara ini dijauhkan tuhan daripada menghadapi masalah ketidakcukupan bahan makanan.

“Beta berharap Kerajaan Perak bersikap proaktif dalam menangani krisis tersebut dengan mengambil tindakan segera untuk mengatasi perkara itu sebelum ia memberi kesan negatif terhadap semua golongan rakyat,” seru baginga ketika bertitah merasmikan pembukaan Dewan Undangan Negeri Ke-12 di Bangunan Setiausaha Kerajaan (SUK) dekat sini pagi tadi.

Tegas baginda, langkah segera lagi berkesan perlu dilakukan bagi menambahkan kawasan tanah sawah tempat penanaman padi terutama di Kerian dan Seberang Perak supaya pengeluaran hasil padi dapat ditingkatkan. Image

“Potensi penanaman padi dari tiga tan kepada 10 tan sehektar dapat dihasilkan jika dilaksanakan langkah bersungguh-sungguh oleh Jabatan Pertanian Negeri dengan memberikan khidmat nasihat yang positif kepada petani,” ujar baginda.

Sebagai fokus utama untuk memastikan dua kawasan jelapang padi tersebut (Kerian dan Seberang Perak) dapat menghasilkan pengeluaran yang tinggi, baginda berharap kerjasama yang berkesan dapat dijalin di antara Kerajaan Perak dengan Kerajaan Persekutuan.

Tegas baginda, peningkatan hasil padi bukan sekadar membantu peningkatan pendapatan petani tetapi turut membantu masalah kekurangan komuniti tersebut.

Sebelum ini keberangkatan tiba Sultan Azlan Shah telah disambut oleh Menteri Besar Perak, Dato’ Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin, seterusnya melakukan pemeriksaan perbarisan kehormat yang teridri daripada Anggota Batalion Kedua, Pasukan Gerak Am Kedah.

Siaran Langsung Internet Sidang DUN Perak

Siaran Langsung Internet Sidang DUN Perak PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 20 June 2008
IPOH 20 Jun – Sidang DUN Perak yang dijadualkan bermula pada 24 Jun ini akan disiarkan secara langsung di internet.Menurut Speaker DUN Perak V. Sivakumar, ia adalah lanjutan daripada siaran langsung DUN yang telah diadakan oleh kerajaan negeri Selangor sebelum ini.

“Siaran langsung ini membolehkan dunia dan rakyat Perak khususnya melihat sendiri perbahasan wakil-wakil rakyat yang telah mereka pilih,” kata Sivakumar.

DYMM Sultan Perak akan berangkat merasmikan persidangan tersebut pada 24 Jun.

Perkhidmatan teknikal dan khidmat runding siaran langsung ini disediakan oleh Global Media Channel (GMC) yang telah mengendalikan siaran langsung sidang DUN di negeri Selangor dan Kelantan sebelum ini.

Menurut jurucakapnya, GMC akan bekerjasama dengan Bahagian Teknologi Maklumat kerajaan negeri, bagi mempastikan siaran tersebut dapat ditonton dalam kualiti siaran yang baik. Siaran itersebut akan dapat ditonton melalui laman-laman web yang akan disenaraikan di laman web rasmi kerajaan negeri Perak.

Perak halts logging after protests

Perak halts logging after protests

GOPENG: The Perak government has issued an immediate stop-work order to all parties involved in logging near orang asli settlements here.

But that may not be enough to end the longstanding problems faced by some 2,000 villagers.

Yesterday, however, the villagers had an opportunity to vent their frustrations during a site visit by Health, Environment and Human Resources Committee chairman A. Sivanesan, Teja assemblyman Chang Lih Kang, government representatives, and activists.

Also present were officials from Gopeng Bhd, which has come under fire for removing a 14.5km long pipeline, which had run from the Ulu Geroh water catchment area to Gopeng town since November.

The villagers from Kampung Ulu Kampar, Kampung Ulu Geroh and Kampung Serkal alleged they had been victimised and threatened to resort to “violent action” if the “intrusion on their lands” continued.

“We do not want this anymore. No more logging. No more destruction of our ancestral grounds, our crops, our water source, our rivers, our businesses and our lives,” said nature guide Ahha Bah Udal.

The villagers claimed that the recent approval for a 136.72ha logging concession in Kg Empang Besar to a company would further destroy their lands.

“When Gopeng Bhd removed their pipeline, they destroyed our roads and our rivers with the sludge from their construction.

“Now they want to log this area. We will not accept this,” said Ulu Geroh village development and security committee chairman Bah Azmi Ng Porgi, who spoke on behalf of the villagers.

A visit to several areas yesterday showed hill slopes on the verge of slipping, clogged and murky rivers and a crumbling bridge.

Upon seeing the damage, Sivanesan issued an immediate stop work order pending a meeting to study the matter and its legal implications.

“This order is temporary and will be in force for two weeks.

“I need to study the approval given by the Forestry Department and any of the stipulated guidelines the contractor may or may not have breached.

“If the state finds any form of violation, we reserve the right to withdraw the logging approval and order for compensation for the damage caused,” he said.